CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Malawi Law Society seeks to recruit a suitably qualified person to fill the vacant position of Chief Executive Officer.
ABOUT MALAWI LAW SOCIETY: Malawi Law Society is a statutory body established under the Legal Education and Legal Practitioners Act. The Society has on the one hand a regulatory role to promote professionalism, integrity and credibility in the delivery of legal services in Malawi. On the other hand it has the duty of protecting the public interest on matters of law with a view to making Malawi rule of law compliant in pursuit of the collective aspirations of its people as expressed in the Constitution. With a growing population of its membership, the Society is poised to take its place as the most respected legal service professional body of female and male lawyers who make Malawi rule of law compliant by championing outstanding, authentic and gender responsive legal service provision of the entire legal system based on the values of integrity, competence and transparency. The Society’s Strategic Plan for 2021-2030 embraces four epochs of Reform, Concerted Implementation, Delivery and Consolidation of Results towards 2030 with delivery underlying every one of the four epochs.
THE POSITION: The Chief Executive Officer reports to the Executive Committee which is a Board of Directors elected by and is representative of the general membership for the Society. The CEO will lead the development and execution of the Society’s short to medium and long-term growth strategy to ensure the retention of the Society’s position as an independent and influential professional body that keeps Malawi rule of law compliant as the Society runs through its four strategic epochs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The key duties and responsibilities include but are not restricted to the following:
- OPERATION AND STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP:
- Develop and implement a 3-to-5-year operational strategy in line with the Society’s Strategic Plan 2021-2030.
- Lead in development of Annual budgets
- Lead and guide the formulation and implementation of operational, financial, and human capital strategic policies and procedures.
- Apply in depth knowledge and understanding of good corporate governance.
- Monitor and direct on organisational culture and values implementation.
- EXECUTIVE ENGAGEMENT AND STAKEHOLDER RELATIONS:
- Ensure that the Executive Committee and ultimately the General Meeting of the Society receives timely and satisfactory information and reports to allow them to make effective decisions and fulfil their statutory and policy oversight role.
- Prepare and present the strategic plan recommendations to the Executive Committee for its approval.
- Develop and maintain good corporate governance, as well as the highest integrity and ethical conduct with stakeholders and allied relationships.
- Liaise with the Society’s stakeholders to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- FINANCIAL STRATEGY AND CONTROL
- Establish and oversee the financial strategy based on the corporate strategy as approved by the Executive Committee.
- Direct the formulation of financial strategies, policies and procedures to ensure the achievement of financial medium and short term targets and goals.
- Monitor the Society’s performance against the budget and ensure that budget variances have been addressed. Alert the Executive Committee regarding serious budget variances and Implications.
- Ensure the Society’s performance is robust within its approved budget and in line with the Society’s strategy.
- MARKET POSITIONING AND PUBLIC SERVICE ROLE MANAGEMENT
- Drive and maintain the Society’s position as legal professional body through technological advancement and improve professional standards of its members.
- Direct and monitor the relationships with key stakeholders to ensure full awareness and understanding of the Society’s operations and services.
- Review and approve new opportunities to achieve the Society’s key strategic goals and objectives.
- Drive brand affinity and awareness through the public service role of the Society.
- Provide leadership regarding multi-media approach to be adopted by the Society.
- OPERATIONAL DIRECTION
- Build and maintain a strong executive management team through effective recruiting, performance management coaching, team building and succession planning at the Secretariat.
- Direct through executive management the overall operations of the Society and ensure that it achieves the strategic goals and objectives identified by the Society’s General Meeting or Executive Committee.
- Review the divisional operational strengths and weaknesses of the Society with each responsible executive and ensure compliance with MLS’s strategy.
- Check that each operation and function is correctly and optimally resourced and is operating at agreed standard levels as well as achieving agreed goals and targets.
- RISK, COMPLIANCE AND REGULATORY OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT
- Ensure the identification and management of potential and significant and mitigate risks in accordance with the Society’s approved risk appetite.
- Plan, execute and ensure that compliance to all regulatory requirements is understood and adhered to by all functions and membership of the Society.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ESSENTIAL SKILLS: The CEO should have, among others, the following demonstrable qualities and skills:
- Extensive and diverse leadership experience in legal related industries with a proven track record of consistent high-performance.
- Experience in developing sustainable strategies and plans, and their implementation.
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles.
- Strong understanding of legal regulatory standards and framework
- Familiarity with ICT and technology trends as they relate to legal services.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practice.
- Strategic leadership and direction of similar sized organisations within Malawi or in the region.
- Excellent communication, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- At least 5 years of experience in senior management/executive positions.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate should have the following minimum qualifications:
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Laws Degree from a recognised and reputable university.
- Top management and leadership experience of not less than 5 years in similar or comparable professional organisations/or authorities.
- In-depth knowledge of Malawi’s legal, financial, business, cultural, political and social-economic environment. Similar knowledge of the surrounding Bar Associations would be an added advantage.
- Highly motivated individual with own vision for an effective professional body.
- At least 5 years of practical experience at the Malawi Bar.
METHOD OF APPLICATION: Applicants meeting the required qualifications, experience, attitude and competencies, should send their application letter, together with detailed curriculum vitae, and names of three traceable referees, to the address listed, below. Applications should be submitted on or before Friday, 6th January, 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Malawi Law Society
Delamere House, 2nd Floor, Right Wing
P.O. Box 1712