The Secretariat consists of the Director and other members of staff of the Society who are appointed by the Society. The Director is the chief executive officer of the Society and is appointed on terms and conditions determined by the Society. The Director holds office for a period of three (3) years and may be re-appointed for two (2) further terms of three (3) years. The Director is responsible for the day to day management of the Society and exercises executive and administrative control over the staff of the Society.
The Society has other officers subordinate to the Director who are appointed for the proper discharge of the functions of the Society under the Legal Education and Legal Practitioners Act. The additional positions and their brief responsibilities are as follows:
- Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for overall finance and administration management, including but not limited to preparation of accounts of the Society, management of books of the Society and providing advice to the Chief Executive Officer and the Executive Committee on financial matters.
- Projects and Advocacy Manager is responsible for managing the pro bono scheme and leading in the advocacy role of the Society.
- Projects and Complaints Handling Officer is responsible for handling and processing complaints received by the Society. She provides support to the Disciplinary Committee. She is also responsible for implementing projects of the Society and supports the Projects and Advocacy Manager in that regard.
- Finance and Administration Officer assists the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Assistant Projects and Complaints Handling Officer is subordinate to the Projects and Handling Officer and is responsible for receiving complaints and processing complaints. She also assist in implantation of projects of the Society.
- Administrative Assistant ensures the smooth running of the Society’s administration. The Administrative Assistant is key in managing events of the Society.
- Office Assistant provides support to all officers within the Secretariat.